Sunday, March 30, 2008

Spring Break

I had the incredible opportunity to go spend my spring break in New Orleans, Louisiana. If I could describe my spring break I would describe it as a time where I saw brokenness at its peak. It was humbling and upsetting to see people in the state in which I saw them. I worked with children in the morning. The organization that I worked with was a pre-school for three and four year old. Most of the families struggled financially and many of them lost their homes in the hurricane. Around noon, we moved over to work with the homeless that lived under the bridge. Unfortunately, the majority of the individuals that we worked also lost their homes in the hurricane. Most of the homes in the upper and lower ninth ward had been passed down through generations and many of them had multiple generations living in them. It is sad to know they cannot afford to rebuild, and most of them spent all of their money that the government gave them immediately on unnecessary tangible items. All of the individuals that are homeless who live under the bridge except for ten are completely addicted to alcohol, crack, and cocaine. The town of New Orleans will never be the same. It is town filled with drugs, gangs, and immorality. After spending only a week in the city, I found myself attached. I am considering moving to New Orleans when I graduate and working at a school that is in the ninth ward.

No comments: